Monday, August 24, 2015

Look Deeper Than the Surface for Business Experience


By Jack Yoest It was one of the most unqualified hires I ever approved — and it was my fault. One of my sales guys needed to retain a translator for our Chinese clients based in Hong Kong. But we (okay, I) made mistakes. (See, some of the business challenges related to language translation noted by publisher Anita Campbell writing in Small Business Trends. And the problem of Differing Weights in different cultures.) The new woman was brilliant and polished with a maturity beyond her years. She was a striking young lady, which apparently masked concerns about business ethics. I didn t think ahead about the interview questions that my interview team would ask. I d hoped they d ask if she spoke Cantonese, the major dialect in Hong Kong. I checked with my secretary on how the interview was going. She didn t know. “The guys didn t seem to ask too many questions,” she said. And the job candidate didn t ask or volunteer about dialects. She was picture-perfect, right off the silver scre
http://bit.ly/1EgBmTb

No comments:

Post a Comment